Graphic overlays identify essential information on how to operate equipment, convey branding, and other important system interfaces. Although they’re relatively straightforward in design, graphic overlays play critical roles in both the operation and protection of electronic devices, equipment, and machinery. A graphic overlay can be a stand alone type label or the top layer of a membrane switch assembly.
Because the graphic overlay is commonly the first thing customers see when interacting with your product, it’s essential that these components to be attractive, easy to use, and true to your brand. On top of this, graphic overlays must also be durable enough to withstand repeated use over time.
In this post, we explore a few of the most prevalent uses of graphic overlays, and we also share some tips on how to get the most from your graphic overlay design.
Main Uses and Applications for Graphic Overlays
Custom graphic overlay printing comes with a lot of options and advantages. Overlay design specialists can incorporate a number of unique options when building a graphic overlay, such as:
- Bright colors and clear designs
- Various substrates, materials – Polycarbonate – Lexan, Polyester – Mylar, Vinyl – PVC, Metal, and Aluminum.
- Various bonding adhesives – Permanent, Repositional, Removable.
- Texturing or hard coating – Gloss, Matte, Velvet, Brushed.
- Various surface finishes, matte – gloss
- UV / Outdoor durability
- LED and Display Windows – Clear, Anti-Glare, color tinted, dead front
- Shape and size, thickness specifications – Embossed, Formed, Raised, Domed
- Use of various manufacturing processes, such as screen printing, digital print, laminating, embossing, die cutting, laser cutting, fabrication.
Because graphic panel overlays can be designed in so many different ways, they’re used for a wide variety of products. Here are just a few of the places you’ll find them:
- Medical equipment
- Telecommunication equipment
- Computers, electronic systems
- Electronic interface, industrial control panels
- HMI – Human Machine Interface
- Touchscreen interface, and protection.
- Automotive vehicle controls
- Manufacturing equipment and other machinery
- Product Identification
- Membrane Switches
Why Choose Techprint for Graphic Overlay Design Services
Whether you need an overlay for your electronic system or a nameplate that identifies your brand or company, Techprint can design, manufacture, and print it for you. Our expert design team draws from a broad spectrum of layout expertise to custom build overlays that fit your precise specifications.
How do you decide on the right overlay design for you? Overlay designers must take several considerations into account, including product application, brand identity, and environmental usage requirements. We’re happy to walk you through your options and offer examples of each finishing process to help you determine the right choices for your overlay.
All our processes comply with ISO 9001 standards, and we’re proud to carry RoHS, UL, CSA, ESD, and IPC certifications. Since 1974, we’ve worked with companies in a variety of industries to create custom graphic overlays, labels, keyboards, membrane switches, printed electronics and more.
Contact us if you have any questions or would like to request a free quote.